Report Demonstrates Overwhelming Impact of Eye Care Industry on Americans’ Lives
Today, The Vision Council, the leading trade association for the optical industry, released a report offering new insights into U.S. consumers’ preferences and habits pertaining to pressing eyecare industry topics. The report, Consumer InSights Q2 2023, provides in-depth analysis on consumer sentiments towards vision correction, managed vision care, eye exams, prescription eyewear, reading glasses and plano sunglasses.
“It’s clear that vision correction remains a key health concern for many Americans, with 93 percent of survey respondents utilizing some form of eyewear,” said Alysse Henkel, Senior Director of Market Research and Analytics at The Vision Council. “This underscores the critical role that eyecare providers and eyewear manufacturers play in maintaining the nation’s eye health.”
- 67 percent of respondents use prescription eyewear – including glasses, sunglasses, and contact lenses
- 2 of every 3 respondents reported some type of managed vision care coverage
- 61 percent of respondents in Q2 reported having an eye exam within the past 12 months
- Nearly 1 in every 3 respondents (30 percent) reported using readers
- More than half (60 percent) of respondents wear plano sunglasses
- This report sources data from The Vision Council’s most recent iteration of its Consumer inSights survey, which surveyed over 15,000 adults in the United States aged 18 or older in the second quarter of 2023.
A one-page summary, along with the full research report, is available in The Vision Council’s Research Download Center as a complimentary download for members of The Vision Council, with a paid option for non-members.
More about the inSights Research Program
The Vision Council’s inSights Research Program launched in May 2022 and is built on a foundation of rigorous methodology and cutting-edge technology. The inSights Research Program provides a comprehensive perspective on the state of the optical industry through quarterly consumer survey reports; quarterly in-depth special reports on eyewear and eyecare products and topics; quarterly market estimates; and an annual industry forecast.
# # #
About The Vision Council
The Vision Council brings the power of sight to all through education, government relations, research and technical standards. A leading advocate for the optical industry, the association positions its members to deliver the eyewear and eyecare people need to look and feel their best. Vital to health, independence and safety, better vision leads to better lives. For more information, visit thevisioncouncil.org.