Transitions Optical conducted a large-scale wearers test with 146 participants representative of the U.S. population to develop a deeper understanding of what people want from their vision experience.
For the study, an entirely new and unique research protocol was developed using an in-lab and in-life testing method. Wearers in the study were given two eyeglasses – one with premium clear lens and the other Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses with the exact same frames and highest quality lens material for the testing.
During in-lab testing, the study recreated the nine most common light situations we are exposed to day-to-day in a controlled environment and grouped them into three categories: indoor lights, intermediate and changing lights, and outdoor lights. The wearers tested both pairs (premium clear and Transitions Signature GEN 8) for each situation and were asked to complete a survey rating how satisfied they were with their vision experience across four dimensions: sharpness, focus, view and colors. Results of the in-lab testing include:
- In indoor light situations, Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses provide excellent vision just like the premium clear lens.
- Outside, in bright sunlight, people rated their vision experience much higher with Transitions Signature GEN 8 over premium clear lenses.
- In changing and intermediate lights, Transitions Signature GEN 8 makes a noticeable difference with Transitions lens wearers declaring seeing better than with the premium clear lenses in those situations.
In the second part, the in-life testing method, the participants were asked to experience both pairs in their day-to-day life for seven days each. Each evening they were also asked to fill out a survey to document their experience. By the end of the test 2,044 days of results were recorded. After seven days of trial in their daily lives with each pair of Transitions Signature GEN 8 and clear lenses, results from the in-life testing method found:
- 69% of people reported a better vision experience wearing Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses, with only 14% preferring their experience with clear lenses.
- 69% of consumers perceived better protection with Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses versus only 5% with clear lenses.
- 64% of people prefer the way they look when wearing Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses, with only 13% preferring clear lenses in the same frames.
- During the week of trial, seven out of 10 wearers received compliments on their Transitions lenses.
At the end of both weeks of trial, the wearers were asked the most important question: which of the two pairs of glasses do you want to keep? The pair with Transitions Signature GEN 8 lenses was selected by 89% of respondents. In addition to the majority selecting Transitions Signature GEN 8, 82% of respondents would also recommend and purchase the lens.
“The overwhelmingly positive reception by both eyecare professionals and wearers of Transitions Signature GEN 8 inspired us to conduct this research for a deeper understanding of what people want from their vision experience,” said Claire Carrara, consumer insights manager, Transitions Optical. “With the results we received, eyecare professionals can feel confident and have no hesitation with recommending Transitions lenses to their patients across all age groups as the best solution for their vision experience.”