VTI Releases Defocus Curve Data Evaluating the Functional Visual Range of the NaturalVue® Enhanced Multifocal EDOF Design for Presbyopia
Game-changing Optical Performance in Mature Presbyopes Enables Continued Contact Lens Wear As Visual Needs Progress with Age
- The study evaluated the optical characteristics and visual performance of the NaturalVue® (etafilcon A) Enhanced Multifocal 1 Day extended depth of focus (EDOF) optical profile on mature presbyopes’ functional vision.
- The defocus curves generated indicated the study lens provided a full range of functional vision, providing better than 20/40 binocular vision through up to 3.00 D optical vergence demand, simulating reading material at approximately 33 cm (13 inches).
- Subjects demonstrated statistically significant (p<0.05) improvement in binocular visual acuity with NaturalVue Multifocal versus single vision correction from -1.50 D through -4.00 D optical vergence demand, simulating reading material from 66cm to 25cm.
- Distance vision was preserved with NaturalVue Multifocal, with no decrease in acuity versus best-corrected spectacle vision at distance.
- Unlike separate low/medium/high designs which necessitate periodic refitting with age, this lens design results in a single, universal ADD for presbyopes of all ages
Visioneering Technologies, Inc (ASX: VTI) (‘Visioneering,’ ‘VTI’ or ‘the Company’), producer of the NaturalVue® Enhanced Multifocal 1 Day Contact Lenses, reported results of its Defocus Curve study with mature presbyopes at the Global Specialty Lens Symposium in Las Vegas today.
The study, a prospective, non-dispensing, single-masked (subject) study was conducted at four clinical sites. Mature presbyopes (age 50+; ADD requirement of > +2.00 D) were recruited to minimize the impact of residual accommodation and better quantify the performance of this EDOF lens design. The average age was 59.2 with patients ranging from ages 51 to 68. Respective average ADD was +2.24, ranging from +2.00 to +2.50, and prescriptions ranging from +2.75 D to -9.50 D. No adverse events were reported.
The presentation entitled, “Is it possible for one ADD to provide good vision to presbyopes of any age? The defocus curve says YES!”, was delivered by Dr. Douglas P. Benoit, Executive Director, Medical Affairs for VTI. The presentation shared study results generated defocus that evaluated vision with the NaturalVue Multifocal in mature presbyopes whose visual demands can be challenging to meet. This data showed that the NaturalVue lens provided a full range of functional vision, providing better than 20/40 (medicine bottle print size) binocular vision through up to 3.00 D optical vergence demand (33cm/13 inches).
This clinical data demonstrates that the NaturalVue Enhanced Multifocal contact lens design preserved distance vision and effectively extended the functional vision range from distance to as close as 13 inches of mature presbyopes (≥+2.00 D ADD requirements) under a wide range of pupil sizes. The strong visual acuities observed indicate patients experienced minimal degradation across a wide visual range, suggesting the universal ADD enables rapid adaptation and represents a solution for presbyopes of all ages. Eye care practitioners can provide a solution to presbyopic patients who want to continue contact lens wear without sacrificing clarity or functional visual range even as their visual needs increase with age.
About Visioneering Technologies
Visioneering Technologies Inc. (ASX:VTI) is an innovative eye care company committed to redefining vision. A pioneer in presbyopia and myopia management, VTI merges advanced engineering with a relentless drive to achieve superior results for patients and practitioners. VTI’s flagship product is the NaturalVue® (etafilcon A) Enhanced Multifocal 1 Day Contact Lens, an extended depth of focus lens that the Company believes is one of the most significant innovations in the eye care industry in more than 20 years. For more information, please visit www.vtivision.com or call +1 844-884-5367, ext. 104.